These cupcakes are everything you and Dany are looking for in a GAME OF THRONES IS BACK celebration dessert. Also I don’t know how necessary this is, but maybe I should mention that I don’t own Game of Thrones. That would be super cool if I did. But I don’t. I just make cupcakes. THESE cupcakes:
Baby dragon eggs nestled into red cocoa frosting, swirled onto fluffy chocolate cupcakes. You better run to the nearest grocery store and hope they still have Easter candy for 50% off! The day after Easter, there was a guy in line in front of me buying ALL the Peeps. I didn’t even know people willingly ate those. More chocolate eggs for the rest of us, eh?
For the dragon egg decorations, all you need is:
- Cadbury mini eggs (or similar candy)
- Food coloring liquid
- Plate or pan lined with parchment or wax paper (just to prevent mess)
I started out really ambitious with this project and drew the scales around the entire egg for a few cupcakes. Then I figured it was easier to just draw them on one side… Be as try-hard as you like here!
- Make sure your hands and the surface you’ll be resting the eggs on is super dry that way the colors don’t run amok all over the place.
- Poke toothpick into desired color of dye to get color on the pointy end. Re-dip as needed.
- While holding egg securely with your other hand, draw u-shaped scales all over using the toothpick as a stylus.
- They should dry fairly quickly, but you can blow lightly on them for a second or two just to help before setting them back down.
- Wait until the last minute before serving to place the eggs on your cupcake (or other dessert!) that way the moisture doesn’t ruin your designs.
This is a really simple way to add Game of Thrones or just general dragony flair to treats. If you can’t find candy eggs, I’m sure this could work on other kinds of candies as well! Making these was just as exciting for me as actually watching the new episode was. If you try this technique, let me know how it works out with a comment or a photo-op!